Monday, March 19, 2012

Istanbul: March 8th

On our last day in Istanbul, we had the whole day to ourselves to do any last minute sight-seeing, grab one last simut, or make one last visit to the Spice Market or Grand Bazaar!  Study tours are usually packed with visits, so having the whole day free was a great break.

First, Sarah and I visited Galata Tour.  If there's something in the city I'm visiting to climb, I make it a point to climb it- but the Galata Tour was even more convenient in that there was an elevator to the top.  Can you say modernization?  Oh well, I wasn't complaining.  

The city goes on FOREVER..

At the top.  Gorgeous view!

After our visit to the tower, we met up with some friends to visit the Grand Bazaar! 

One of SEVEN entrances

It was my first time there, but I had heard plenty about it from Molly: my expert-haggler roommate.  Meeting up with her, I knew I was in good hands.  Like I said before, I'm terrible at haggling, and I really dislike doing it.  I don't find it fun- I find it really unnecessarily uncomfortable, especially when you're arguing for a difference of like $1.  Oh well, it was part of the experience so I gave it a try.  The Grand Bazaar was on a whole new level from the Spice Bazaar- SO many shops that it would apparently take days to stop at each one.  In the end, I was satisfied with my purchases.

After our shopping adventures, we caved into our Western cravings and picked up some Starbucks.  Believe it or not, there are quite a few Starbucks around Istanbul, and I indulged in a Venti iced coffee (yay lower prices!) but not before Sarah and I stopped to befriend some animals in the square.

Meow.



Finally, the time came to meet the bus and head to the airport.  Due to the notoriously unpredictable Istanbul traffic, we cut it a little close to our flight time, but it ended up taking off late anyway so no harm done.  

Laurie is sad to leave, and I apparently find it hilarious.

BACK IN COPENHAGEN at like 1am, we were displeased to find out that the Metro was shut down for the evening, leaving half our class waiting for a regional train.  

Molly was the happiest.
I can safely say that I fell in love with Istanbul- it had this wonderful enchanting mystery about it, and I miss it so much already.  On our first day, Koray warned us that this might happen, and that we would one day bring our children and grandchildren back, and I could definitely see that happening.  Going from having no expectations to becoming so intrigued by a place was truly amazing, and it's something I will never forget.  

In the words of our instructor, Jakob:
"We will always have Istanbul!"

No comments:

Post a Comment