Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Worth it.

I spent my last two days in Iceland on my own!

This was a decision I made after considering a flight back to Copenhagen on Thursday cost just about as much as paying for two more nights at the hostel and getting a cheaper flight on Saturday morning.  Plus, I was feeling a little adventurous- during my entire time abroad, I've never been a lone traveler, so I though this would be a good opportunity to try it out.  

Although I was admittedly a little lonely at breakfast on the first morning, I was excited to take the day at my own pace.  I had no plans to do anything besides walk around the city that day, so I hung out in the lobby for a little bit.  Eventually, I made friends with two older women from Atlanta who had just flown in that morning.  They were precious.  I also met one of my new roommates in the 10 person room Rita and I had been in all week- super cool, and really fun to talk to.

Even though I already think I'm the world's least intimidating person, I guess it helps being totally on your own.  People were really willing to strike up a conversation if I was sitting by myself, and it was a great opportunity to get to talk to people from all over.  

It was great wandering around aimlessly, writing some postcards, drinking some coffee, and chatting with some fellow travelers.  Secretly (or maybe not so secretly) I aspire to me a cool international kid traveling the world and having adventures, but until recently, that felt so far out of my comfort zone.  My experiences in Iceland gave me confidence, and even more wanderlust.

I leave you with one piece of advice:

Go to Iceland, it's worth it. 



:)

No comments:

Post a Comment