Friday, February 17, 2012

Workin' on my Fitness

Recently, Rita, Meaghan, and I decided that due to our immense increase in pastry, hot dog, and peanut butter consumption, we needed to join a gym.  Last semester, I toyed with the idea of joining a gym but never ended up doing it.  This time around, I decided I needed to take the plunge.  DIS had also worked out a pretty good membership deal, so that helped subsidize the cost a bit too!  Armed with my sneakers, Nike gym shorts, and tye-dye Peer Mentor t-shirt, I set off for my first gym experience.

Yes, I have never before belonged to a gym.  Furthermore, I have never even utilized the gym that Stonehill provides for free.  So this whole experience was new to me.  The fun started almost as soon as we walked in.  Rita and I swiped our membership cards only to discover that they hadn't been activated yet.  This lead to an awkward interaction with a staff member who clearly thought we were idiots.  After dropping our things in the locker room, we decided to ease into our workout on the elliptical, only to discover that since we're in Denmark, all of the machines give instructions in Danish.  This made things interesting.  As we ellipticaled our little hearts out, we scoped out our fellow gym-goers.  Which brings me to my next point:

The best fitness/weight loss strategy in the world is to join a Danish gym.  Everyone was blonde, fit, decked out in coordinated workout apparel, and NOT SWEATING.  And then there was me, in my t-shirt and shorts, on struggle-street on the elliptical.  Oh well, it provided Rita and I with some motivation to continue going so that one day we too can become Danish olympians.

Proud of ourselves, we rewarded ourselves with a banana, passion fruit, and apple juice on the walk home.  I guess that's pretty good motivation too!

No comments:

Post a Comment