Thursday, February 2, 2012

Attitude is everything.

Attitude is everything.  Cliché, but true.  While perusing the internet (namely some of my favorite tumblrs) in pursuit of insightful quotes, I stumbled upon this one:


"Things are changing ever so slightly. Can you feel them? Pay close attention. You’re going to want to feel them. Your life used to be different. It had a different texture, a different shape. Now it’s something else. Can you recognize it? Poke at it. Rub your fingers through it. Get comfortable. This is your life now. Sometimes it doesn’t feel right and sometimes it does. Hold on to the latter and fruitlessly try to forget the former."


At the start of a brand new semester abroad, I thought it was especially appropriate, speaking not only to the feelings I'm having now, but also to many of the things I grew to understand last semester.  Last August, I remember walking through the cobblestone streets of this city wondering how it could possibly change me and how different things could possibly become.  Those first few days were a whirlwind, but once I took the time to slow down and open my eyes, I started to let go of my old routine and embrace my new life.  I began to take each experience and interaction, positive or negative, and let them affect me.  Sometimes it was in the form of feeling myself smile for absolutely no reason as I walked down the street, and sometimes it was a test of patience as I was faced with negativity from others.

This is such a different life, and it is so easy to get frustrated and feel the effects of culture shock, but I think it is so important to take everything as a learning experience.  Negativity becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and it affects others outside of yourself.  Sometimes things don't go as we want them to.. but sometimes they do, and I think it's important to take the lesson out of every experience and focus on positives rather than negatives.

Coming back for second semester, I didn't really know what to expect.  The first night I was here, everything felt so similar yet so different at the same time, and I didn't know what to do with myself.  I tried my best to let things settle, and after a day or two, many naps, cups of coffee with my housemates, and the magic of this city I can safely say that coming back for second semester was 100% the right decision for me.  Everyone who I have encountered has such an amazing, positive energy.  I love all my classes.  AND sometimes it snow flurries during the day.  I know it won't always be perfect, and this semester will no doubt pose a challenge or two, but to quote the lovely song "Good Life" by onerepublic- "the hope is we have so much to feel good about!"


By the way, HAPPY FEBRUARY and HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!
...and this weekend one of my good friends from Stonehill is coming to visit!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment