Thursday, September 1, 2011

Double rainbow all the way across the sky!

Happy no-class Wednesday!  Although I had the day off, I got quite the workout climbing more stairs than I can count.  First, Amy and I started the day with a nice climb to the top of the Round Tower.  It was just as enjoyable as the first time, and this time I didn't have to take awkward solo tourist pictures!


  Then, a few of my roommates and I went over to Church of Our Saviour.


See the staircase around the tower?  Yup, climbed that!  It was a pretty steep climb to the top even while we were still inside, but we persevered and made it to the first balcony... then just kept going!  The view was amazing, and as long as I didn't think about what I was actually doing, I made it without any panic attacks.  After the day of the real life Stairmaster, I celebrated the exercise by picking up a popsicle on the way home.




Anyway, I've been here for nine days now and finally feel like I'm settling in.  I'm getting into a routine, found a travel coffee mug, and FINALLY got a computer charger (even though my credit card is still dysfunctional.)  Feeling so unsettled and unprepared had been pretty frustrating, and it was at its worst last Thursday.  Fortunately, that very night things turned around, and I was the happiest girl in the world.

After a whole Thursday of frustration, I met with my "visiting mom" from the Visiting Family program.  Basically it gives you the opportunity to get to know a Danish family without living with a host family 24/7.  One of my housemates, Julia, and I went and met our "mom" for the first time and grabbed coffee down at the harbor.  It was so relaxing, and after a bad day it put me in such a good mood.  Not only did we discover that we all have a lot in common, but Theresa was so welcoming and genuinely wanted to make sure Julia and I were settling into life in Denmark.  It was great to know that we now have someone to look out for us and who will be able to help us out if we need anything.

This past Sunday, Julia and I went and had dinner with the family.  Theresa and Christopher have two daughters who are 10 and 14, and I was so excited to meet them.  After taking the train for the first time by ourselves (and getting mildly confused) we got to their house in the afternoon.  We were treated to absolutely delicious food, most of which was authentically Danish, had tea, and then took a walk around the town.  We got to see where the girls go to school and even passed through an open sheep pasture where you could literally walk in and pet the sheep.  It was the coolest thing ever!  While we were on our walk, there was a short rain shower which, as the title of this post alludes to, resulted in the most perfect rainbow I have ever seen!  It was even a DOUBLE RAINBOW!  All the way across the sky!  (Check this out if you don't get my reference... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQSNhk5ICTI )



We then went home and a traditional Danish dinner and had great discussions about American versus Danish culture by candlelight- very hyggelit!  The whole time I was sitting there, I couldn't stop smiling.  I'm so glad I have this opportunity to get to know the family.  The girls are also the cutest.  All day they were trying to teach us Danish words while also working on their English.  After dinner we talked about music and watched Youtube videos.  By the way Peer Mentors-- I showed them the Move Ya Body dance.. I think they found it mildly amusing.  So you're all basically celebs in Denmark now!  

When I thought about studying abroad, I never really considered the possibility of interacting with a family, I just envisioned living in the city center and fending for myself.  This way, I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.  Just from the few times we've gotten together, I can tell that they will have such a huge impact on my experience abroad, and I can't wait!!  I was so touched by how eager they were to get to know us and to assure us that if we ever needed anything, we could just give them a call, and having a touch of family life will be so comforting.  Sitting with them around the table, we were talking about how family life plays such a huge role in Danish life, and if given the choice between a higher salary or 5 weeks extra vacation time, most Danes would chose more vacation and thus more time to spend with their family.  This aspect of culture is something that I really want to remember and to carry with me.  It makes me remember to slow down, to take in the city and every experience I have here, and treasure the simple moments I have with everyone in my life.  As much as I might miss everyone from home, I'm so incredibly lucky that I have an amazing family to look out for me.

:)

This weekend coming up, my roommate Carrie and I are going on a biking trip to Bornholm with DIS.  I've been excited about this trip for weeks, so hopefully I'll have lots of outdoor adventures to write about soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment