Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cupcakes, coffee, and curry.

As I sat down to write this, I realized that the majority of my most recent entries have involved food- coffee, rødgløde med fløde, and my cooking class.  Well.. this post won't be much different.

Last night, I was working on a group presentation for War Crimes & Human Rights that was due this morning at 8:30.  As my friend Sarah and I slaved away over the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244, we promised ourselves that after we finished our presentation, we would reward ourselves with an afternoon of cupcakes and watching "Bridesmaids."  And we did just that.




After class, we set off for Agnes Cupcakes, which is located in this awesome indoor market about a five minute walk from school.  Highly recommended for any visits to Copenhagen!  The cupcakes were BEAUTIFUL, and they had everything from caramel to pistachio to red velvet to sea salt chocolate, even a flavor simply called "kids" which was coated in fun multicolored sprinkles.  There were so many choices that Sarah and I couldn't pick just one.. that was okay though, because if you bought four there was a (small) discount!  That was good enough for us.  I picked a caramel and dark chocolate, and Sarah went with the cheesecake cupcake and a dark chocolate as well.  Afterwards, we went back to my house and watched "Bridesmaids."  Such a relaxing afternoon and such a good reward after our group's hard work!

Yum <3

Continuing with the day's (or rather my entire abroad experience's) theme of food, I went out for coffee with a few of my classmates after our Scandinavian Crime Fiction class with our instructor.  In Denmark the whole system of having student influence in the classroom is really important, so a lot of teachers will elect "class reps" to meet with and kind of be the middleman between teacher/student.  For this class, our instructor really wanted to have the opportunity to meet with all of us at some point, and today was my day!  It's a really cool way to discuss what you like/dislike about what's going on in class, and also a great way to get to know your instructor!  (Plus I got to discuss crime, which I obviously enjoyed.  #criminologymajorproblems)

Annnnd still continuing with the food, almost as soon as I got home from coffee after class, my SRA Anna, housemates Jaime and Carrie, and I set to work cooking a delicious dinner of chicken and vegetables with curry sauce/coconut milk and rice.  No measuring cups were used (in accordance with the Danish way of "cooking by heart") and it turned out AMAZING.  Plus it was so much fun to cook with friends.  :)  After throwing in a few strategically placed candles and gathering around the coffee table in the living room, we had the perfect hyggelit dinner!

 
Anna and Carrie pre-meal, enjoying ginger tea!

Yum.  (And my purple candle.  And the pink dish I bought for it to sit on.  Casually accessorizing the Stonehill purple-hygge.)

Anna and Jaime with our delicious dinner.

Just moments ago, I finished off the night with my second cupcake from this morning.  Heavenly.  Can't say I'm not well fed...  

(Some days, at least.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Tara! What a delicious supper! You are becoming quite the culinary genius. And cupcakes, too. I think that next summer at Stonehill you will be the designated chef! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete