Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Ever have those days when life is just an epic struggle?  Not in an incredibly tragic or devastating way, just in an almost humorous series of unfortunate events..

Well, that was my weekend.

1.  It all started Friday after Danish class.  We got out 15 minutes early, which is really unusual, so as a force of habit I walked from the classroom right next door to where my Gang Crime class meets.  I opened the door to find a full class of students, none of whom I recognized, and realized that I walked into a class that was still going on.  I was that awkward kid that opens the door to a full class, turns bright red, and runs out.

The rest of Friday went smoothly- two of my friends from Justice & Human Rights, Sarah and Charlotte, came to Copenhagen for the night, and we went out exploring with Amy and Sarah's friend from the Danish Buddy Network.  On our adventures, we met some students from the Copenhagen Business School who were so much fun, and who had some pretty sweet dance moves.

Friends-on-Friday!  :)

On Saturday, Amy and I had been planning to wander around Copenhagen and see some of the sites that we hadn't gotten to yet.  In preparation for a long day of exploring, I woke up with the intentions of cooking myself a nice big breakfast.  This brings us to snafu number 2...
All I wanted to do was make scrambled eggs and toast, but when I cracked into the first egg, the shell didn't break entirely.  I tried to shimmy it open and into the glass I was using to mix it, and it worked.  Except instead of landing in the glass, this egg literally bounced off the rim of the glass, and I watched in slow motion as it fell and splattered all over the floor.  By the way, egg is nearly impossible to clean up.  As it was, I was already running late, so I had to text Amy saying I had had a minor accident and would be a few minutes late.  Upon hearing the reason for my tardiness, she laughed at me, and I don't blame her.

3.  We decided to take the water taxi (which is really cool, by the way) to see "The Little Mermaid" statue.  "The Little Mermaid" is a Copenhagen must-see... why, I'm not sure.  I'm sure there is some historical significance that I'm missing out on, but overall, the Mermaid was underwhelming (kind of like Plymouth Rock).  While I wouldn't say that the statue alone is worth the trip to go see, especially in chilly rainy weather.. watching other tourists climb out onto the rocks to pose with it and subsequently falling into the water made it worthwhile.  The toasted almonds we bought afterwards were also quite tasty.

After a delicious dinner at RizRaz, the vegetarian buffet right next to my house (recommended by Rick Steves too!!), Amy and I decided to be proactive and continue planning out two week travel break.  And so began three hours of frustration, and unfortunate event #4.  Our trip is starting out in Galway, Ireland.  From there, we planned to fly to London to meet up with our friend Danielle.  We figured this would be easy, considering all other study-abroaders rave about cheap, easy flights courtesy of an airline that shall remain nameless, but who I'm sure will be easily identified by anyone who has experienced it.  Since this particular airline is based out of Dublin, you would think getting from Ireland to the UK would be simple.  Wrong.  After finding a cheap flight, Amy and I were pumped and went to book it; however, due to the fact that "the issue number can only contain digits" (an error message that I STILL don't know how to fix) and the fact that "Rhodes Island" is apparently the name of the lovely state that Amy hails from, we failed.  The only alternative would be to call this airline, who would charge us per-minute to talk to them.  Finally, after three hours, Amy's computer, my credit card and billing address, we had our tickets to London!  We celebrated with some rødgløde med fløde and ice cream.

This morning, we attempted to go to a flea market in Nørrobro that our Danish teacher recommended.  The fact that the flea market was no where to be found was problem #6, but before that came #5- second breakfast blunder of the weekend.  When I went to remove the old filter from the coffee maker, it conveniently decided to rip, spilling coffee grounds everywhere.  Of course I was running late again, so I had to once again apologize to Amy and explain my embarrassing bad luck.  But what's worse is that as I cleaned up the coffee mess, my Cheerios got soggy.  :(

Once I got back from our walk to Nørrobro, I tried to be really Danish and light a few candles all for the sake of hygge.  I ended up burning my thumb- hygge gone bad!  Oh well, after a series of 7 unfortunate (but all in all, not that unfortunate) events, I survived the weekend, still managing to have a lot of fun, make some travel plans, and relax with a cup of tea as all my housemates arrive back home after their weekend travels.

Can't wait to see what Monday morning has in store.....

No comments:

Post a Comment