Thursday, September 15, 2011

"Rødgrød med fløde"... what?

Tonight a reached a major milestone in my integration into Danish society- I ate (and even helped make) "rødgrød med fløde."  


Ever since I picked up my very first Scandinavian travel book, I've seen this phrase mentioned.  It especially stuck out because it looks nothing like I've ever seen in English, and because every travel book warns you that no matter how hard an English speaker tries to pronounce it, you'll probably fail.  The books suggest to ask the local Danes for help.


Being very gullible and perhaps feeling a little adventurous, I've made many attempts at pronouncing it.. and I've failed.  Each time.  At least I've provided some entertainment for the Danes I've encountered, who usually burst out laughing (all in good fun, though!)  Seriously though, copy and paste this phrase into Google and get a recording.  Then try to say it.  Good luck.


So anyway, what is this crazy creation, you might ask.  The best translation is "red berry porridge with cream."  Tonight, a few of my housemates and I gathered in the kitchen with Anna to learn how to make it.  Anna's grandmother had made it for her growing up, but even she had never tried it on her own, so it was a learning experience for all of us.  For something that is so impossible to pronounce, it was surprising easy to made.  We just simmered some raspberries on the stove, added sugar, and a thickening agent.  After stirring the mixture for a few minutes (my area of expertise!) we let it sit fit a bit in the fridge to cool.  Then we added some milk and some more sugar, and bam- you've got rødgrød med fløde. 



50552_2220695761_1247_n.jpg
(Unfortunately my camera died today so I was forced to steal this picture ((thanks Google!!)) but you get the idea.)


Nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment