Thursday, December 15, 2011

#5: Pølser
HOT DOGS!  There are hot dog stands all over Copenhagen, and while I was initially leery of partaking in the deliciously fragrant snacks due to "dirty water hot dog" stereotypes from New York City, I couldn't resist any longer.  Unfortunately, the menu is entirely in Danish.  You wouldn't think there would be that many options... but there are.  It was so overwhelming, in fact, that I wrote down the menu and took it into Danish class so that my teacher could help translate it for me.  Just because I had no idea what I was ordering didn't stop me from eating the hot dogs.. but I figured it would be good knowledge to have.  From that day on, whenever anyone mentioned food/hot dogs in class, our teacher would look over to me and laugh.  Cool.  But in any case- try the hot dogs!  Get it with everything on it.. this includes raw onion, fired onion, pickle, mayo, mustard, and ketchup.  YUM.


I remember my first hot dog...

Amy and the "Fransk" hot dog


#4: Somersby
Another tasty treat courtesy of Carlsberg, Somersby is the most amazing hard cider in the entire world.  It is comparable to the "sparkling cider" of my childhood, but with an extra kick.  I'm praying that I can find somewhere that sells it in the US... Once I'm 21 of course.

#3: Look UP!
Someone told me this before I came to Denmark, and it definitely holds true.  When you spend time in a place, get accustomed to the lifestyle there, and develop a routine, it's easy to only see the ground level.  I'm guilty of doing this in Copenhagen.  On my walk to school, to the store, or anywhere else in the city, I catch myself only seeing the store windows and modernized lower facades of the buildings I pass by.  When this happens, I remember to glance upward.  That's where all the history is, and where the buildings are still at their most beautiful.  Every Baresso and Joe & the Juice look the same.. but each building is unique and colorful and so incredibly charming.  Look up.  :)


ps:  TOMORROW IS MY LAST DAY IN COPENHAGEN... until January, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment