Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pyromania & Pants

On just day 2 of the Copenhagen Countdown, I'm already slacking!  My apologies, but yesterday my friend Meaghan arrived!!  She goes to Stonehill and is interning in Dublin for the semester.  Lot's of excitement- I love visitors!  Anyway, to make up for my lack of updates yesterday, here come two more:

#15: Candles
I've always loved candles.  Growing up, I was always that kid who loved playing with hot wax, dipping my fingers in it and making a huge mess.  At home, the only time I had the opportunity to do this was around Christmas, when we had an Advent wreath on our dinner table and lit a candle each night.  When I left for college, I only got to catch a few weeks of Advent wreath fun due to living at school and the ban of candles in the residence halls.  In Denmark, however, I soon learned that they LOVE candles here- definitely related to the concept of hygge..  A candle makes everything better.  Lighting a candle when I study or while I sit reading in my bed makes me so happy.  Every store you walk in sells candles, and there are tons of adorable homegoods stores that sell any kind of candle holder you could ever want.  My dad, however, has never been a fan of candles, mostly it's the scented ones that bother him, but also the fear of burning the house down.  While Skyping my parents, he's very often voiced concern about the candles I have on my windowsill.  Personally, I haven't had any candle mishaps, despite burning myself while lighting one a few months ago.  My friend Sarah, however, had quite the experience of hygge-gone-wrong at her host family's house.  While her host mom was vacuuming, the cord of the vacuum caught a candlestick that was on top of the entertainment center, dragging it closer and closer to the TV, until the whole left side of the TV was engulfed in flames.  Fortunately, the TV still works even though there is a large, charred hole in the side.  To top it off, the offending candle still remains in it's same place on top of the entertainment center.  THAT is how important candles are here... and I love it.

#16: Yoga pants
Last fall, I had class every day of the week at 8:30am back at Stonehill due to my poor luck in picking my schedule.  After that semester, I vowed to never take an 8:30 class again; however, DIS had different plans for me, as 8:30 was the only time War Crimes and Human Rights was offered.  Back at Stonehill, the comfortable creation known as "yoga pants" were a staple in my early morning wardrobe- they offered the perfect combination of comfort, coziness, and functionality with more ease than the common pair of leggings.  Paired with a t-shirt and a sweatshirt, I was always ready to take my 8:30 statistics class by storm (despite looking slightly homeless.)  In Copenhagen, however, yoga pants don't have quite the following that they do in the US, or at least at Stonehill.  I've been forced to actually dress myself in the early hours of the morning, which has been pretty challenging.  Just yesterday, as I was running late for class, how I wished I could trudge down the street in the rain in the same yoga pants I had been sleeping in.  Instead, I put on real pants.  Perhaps it has to do with the other DIS students, or perhaps it's influenced by Danish style in general (which I overall really enjoy!) ..but in any case..  I miss wearing yoga pants in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment