Friday, December 2, 2011

Obligatory-Countdown-Post

So today was the first day of December.. significant for a few reasons:

  1. I need to buy an Advent calendar.  All the kids (small children and DIS kids alike) have these awesome open-a-door-a-day calendars, and behind each door is a piece of delicious chocolate.  I want one!
  2. My Justice & Human Rights research paper is due in 9 days..  oh my.
  3. Christmas is in 25 days.
  4. It is now acceptable to listen to Christmas music.  (Not saying I haven't been doing it since before Thanksgiving, but now I feel that its socially acceptable.)
  5. And... I leave Copenhagen in 17 days!!
While I'm super excited about going home to see my friends and family, visiting Stonehill, driving my car, eating some Wawa, and being reunited with my one true love Dunkin Donuts iced coffee before returning to Copenhagen for second semester, the fact that fall semester is almost over is blowing my mind.  I remember my first post on this blog- 19 days before leaving.  Weird.  

Since Thanksgiving, it has been becoming more and more real that my roommates and I are all going home soon, and once we get back to the US, we probably won't ever be in the same place at the same time like we are right now.  A much more sentimental/sappy post will come in the future (if you've learned anything from this blog, it should be that I enjoy introspective reflection on anything and everything) but for now, I want to "borrow" an idea from my good friend Dave in Florence, and hopefully he won't hate me- for the next 17 days, I'm going to try to mention aspects of Copenhagen that I've really enjoyed but maybe haven't mentioned specifically on the blog, or things that I've learned over the past 4 months, or maybe even things that I won't miss.  Russell (Hi Russell- I know you stalk my blog!) and I also discussed what we'd miss most about Copenhagen earlier tonight, so that also got me thinking.  

(Hopefully this can also serve as a helpful guide for Spring 2012 DIS students, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to comment.  ps: CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!)

Anyway, here we go:

#17- Pastry.
I would start this list off with mentioning food.  Pastry might not be a staple in a normal Dane's diet, but it's certainly a staple in my diet.  Aside from being one of the cheapest snacks you can buy, it's also delicious.  The chocolate croissants never disappoint, and the chocolate cinnamon rolls are also perfection.  There's even a tasty treat called "the baker's bad eye" that is round and filled with yellow custard with white icing drizzled over the top.  While the analogy is pretty gross, the pastry is amazing.  While there are quite a few "designer" bakeries around the city, my personal favorite is St. Peder's.  It's two blocks away from DIS, very hyggelig, and they give student discounts!  Highly recommended.. and I will most definitely be going through withdrawal during winter break.  Nom nom.

1 comment:

  1. Btw. the real name of the very popular Danish pastry nicknamed "the baker's bad eye" is "spandauer", named after the Spandau borough in Berlin.

    http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spandauer

    ReplyDelete