Friday, January 27, 2012

sCHedULeeee!

**Flashback to freshman year of high school when everyone blasted their schedules all over Facebook**

We started classes yesterday, and so far it's shaping up to be a promising semester!  

I started out Thursday morning bright and early with my Core Course- Migration & Conflict:
The 1 hour 10 minute class period flew by because our professor was so energetic and enthusiastic about the subject material.  We started off by discussing the perceptions of immigration in Denmark, and how immigration (or lack thereof) affects the idea of Denmark being "the happiest country in the world."  

After a short break and small lunch back at the apartment, it was off to Sociology of Family:
We spent most of the class discussing the idea of what makes up a "family"- is it something reserved for a mother, father, child, and dog, or can a family also be an older couple without children, a parent/child who don't live together, or close family friends.

Today I got to sleep in a little bit and then had Psychology of Leadership:
After a brief classroom mix-up (happens to the best of us), I was safely settled into class with the most interesting man ever as a teacher.  He was so warm, friendly, and eager to get to know us.  We did an ice-breaker within groups to get to know a bit about each other, and as an example of fun-facts to share, he told us that while living in Russia, he was accused of espionage and featured on the front page of the paper.  None of our facts topped that (although I did surprise everyone with my usual factoid that I hope to work in a prison one day).  Overall, the class seems really interesting and applicable to being involved on the orientation team back at Stonehill.  I'm excited to learn more about my own leadership style as the semester goes on.

Right after psychology, I had Danish Language & Culture II:
The class is all full-year students, so I saw many familiar faces, and the class is taught by the same teacher I had for Danish I.  She jumped right into class by telling us a bit about herself in Danish, and I was pleasantly surprised that I could understand more than I thought I would be able to after such a long break.  Her class is a great opportunity to learn some useful phrases but also to explore the culture and ask any questions we might have.  Next week, we're all getting together and going to a cafe for the evening (thanks DIS!), and I'm excited to experience one of our teacher's favorite places as well as enjoy some free food.

On Monday, I have Applied Psychology, so I'll let you know how that goes.  From the reading that has been assigned so far, it seems like it will be a great class about putting theories of counseling into practice.


Aside from classes, everything is going swimmingly!!  My housemates are wonderful and I can't wait to get to know them better as the semester goes on.  This afternoon, my housemate Rita & I ventured over to the swanky glass market by Nørreport where everything is really expensive but super delicious- it's the same place where my FAV Agnes Cupcake is!!!  So, we of course picked up a cupcake and then explored some more of the shops, sampling hummus and apple cinnamon whiskey.  There's also a froyo stand that I can't wait to try.

Cheesecake Agnes :)


Last night, a few of us went out for celebratory "first day of class" drinks which was really chill.  We also tried the jazz bar down the street called "Charlie Scott's" that I was dying to go to all last semester- lots of fun!  We ended the night with grabbing a few hot dogs on the way home, and I successfully convinced them that the "everything" hot dog is the BEST.  



Lots of activities planned for the weekend, so stay tuned.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment