Monday, January 30, 2012

i weekenden...

First weekend back in Copenhagen was a success!

On Friday night, Sarah was going to the meat-packing district with a few of her friends and invited me and my housemates to join.  We all ventured over to Vesterbro (the "West" neighborhood in CPH out past Tivoli) and explored a few bars and such.  On the way home, my newly addicted roommates and I made a pit-stop at a hot dog stand.. perfect bedtime snack!

Saturday I spent the whole day with my visiting family- it was so good to see them again!  They graciously offered to pick me up in the city so I didn't have to take the train, and we went to Louisiana.  No, not the state- the art museum.  As I've mentioned before, I'm not big on museums, but this one was awesome!!  It'll be hard to explain, but it's right on the coast surrounded by water with a view of Sweden in the distance.  The exhibits wind around glass corridors and you can see outside from most of the museum.  Everything was so varied and really interesting.  In one room, an artist had recreated a "forest" by cutting up trees and then piecing them back together.  There was also a huge displace of floor to ceiling photographs, including lots of aerial shots.  My favorite was the enormous crystal light fixture outside in the courtyard.  It was impressive enough during the day, but once it got dark it was absolutely breathtaking.  After the museum, we went back to my family's house for dinner where I was treated to a delicious meal and wonderful Danish hospitality.  It was great catching up with Christopher, Theresa, Cecilie and Camille.  Camille even let me sign her "best friends book"- I felt so special!

They spelled my name out with the blocks in the children's room :)

An exhibit of an artist who cut all these different trees apart, then pieced them back together

MY FAVORITE; big crystal light display outside the museum!


I got back into the city around 11pm and was immediately greeted by my roommates who were on their way out on the town.  I figured I might as well join them.  We found somewhere to hang out for a little bit, then everyone parted ways- some to go dancing, some to meet up with friends who had already gone dancing, and some (like me) back home to the warmth of the apartment.

This morning, a few of us went to check out the bike sale at Studenterhuset!  At the beginning of each term, a bike shop from Nørrebro sets up a market where you can go and get discounted rentals for the semester so it's a pretty good deal for students.  We set our alarms and woke up bright and early to ensure the best selection of bikes.  Even though I already have a (really decrepit, rusty) bike, I went along to see what it was like.  When we got there, they had 4 bright yellow adorable bikes available for rent, which Meaghan, Molly, Rita, and Sarah were lucky enough to snag.  I'm so excited to go out for rides- we're on our way to becoming real Danes!

Meaghan and the precious periwinkle bike 

The bikes everyone ended up coming home with instead


It was bitterly cold out today, so after the bike sale we went home to warm up a bit.  Later in the afternoon we went back to the glass market near Nørreport and picked up some hummus, smoked salmon, and random produce.  Everything was DELICIOUS and definitely worth the extra money.  I even got supplies to make the portobello mushrooms with garlic, pepper, and white wine that I learned in cooking class way back last semester!  They turned out splendidly, if I do say so myself.

Tonight was dedicated to homework and prepping for the first full week of classes.  The nerd in me is pretty excited, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow at 6:45 when my alarm goes off...

No comments:

Post a Comment