Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Hygge is everywhere

#1: Hygge is everywhere

Incase you were wondering, I made it back from Denmark!  ...like two weeks ago.  I had the best intentions of updating on the day I left, then on the day I got home, then right after Christmas.  But I guess there was just too much excitement, and so here we are- in the new year!!  Since I last updated, lots has happened, including airport fun with Amy's oversized suitcases/my practically empty suitcases and subsequent repacking of bags in the check-in line, arrival in Boston- first stop: Dunkin Donuts, visiting Stonehill and hugging EVERYONE, my mom greeting me with gløgg as soon as I walked in the door, driving my car again, Christmas with my family, Philadelphia to see the CSI exhibit, New Years with my friends, et cetera.  Aside from that, my daily routine includes experimenting with smoothies, watching some Netflix, sitting in front of the fire, and doing some reading.  It's a good life, but I miss my little Danish home.  20 days until I'm back!  And look what I found in Philadelphia!!

Spotted- Danish flag!!!!


Anyway, the long-awaited #1 of my first semester studying abroad.. hygge is everywhere.  My Danish teacher said this on our last day of class, and it really holds true.  Back in the US, we might not go as crazy with the tea-light candles or call it by the same funny name, but its still here- especially if you're willing to look for it.  I felt it every time I reunited with my friends, spent the holidays with my family, and insisted on lighting candles around the house.

Hygge is a huge part of the feeling of home, and it's helped me to understand that "home" doesn't have to be just one place.  Giving campus tours at Stonehill, I always tell people that the campus has become my "second home," as it's a place I've come to know and love and where I feel comfortable and am surrounded by people who support me.  As the years have gone by, I've ended up spending more time at my "second home" than my home in Pennsylvania where I grew up and that offers the luxuries of my family, longtime friends, and Wawa.  I didn't expect to find a real home in Denmark, but I did thanks to 5 of the greatest roommates, my awesome SRA Anna, my visiting family, and the many opportunities I had to learn and grow as a person.  Deciding between a first, second, third, whatever number home doesn't do justice for how special all of these places are.  At the Guinness factory (of all places, I know) they had a quote on the wall that said "Home is not where you live, but where they understand you."  I believe that wherever you get this feeling, you experience hygge, and it's not limited to just one place.  I'll always carry the people and places I love with me wherever I go.  Hygge touches all the pieces of your heart that are left all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment