Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The "hygge" factory

Oh hey!  Aside from these past few days being insanely busy, we also didn't have access to wireless until yesterday, and I still don't have a computer charger, but don't worry, I'm back for a quick update (which as always will probably turn into a long update.)

We moved into our housing on Sunday.  I was absolutely shocked when they took us to St Kannikestaede, the DIS Residential Community where we'll be living for the next four months.  It's ridiculous.  Picture a miniature version of a house from The Real World.  We're really lucky because they just finished renovating this building basically the day before we got here.  It was built in 1750, soo it's older than the US.  Although we have funny rules because of how old it is, like no shoes in the house/washing the floor with extra special soap, its totally worth it.  I live with 7 other people, as well as our SRA Anna.  Amy lives right on the other side of the courtyard, which is awesome too!  Most importantly though-  we have a coffee maker in the kitchen.  Thank.  God. 


View from my window!

My room!

Kitchen!

Common room!


Anyway, Anna nicknamed our house "the hygge factory."  "Hygge" is basically a Danish word that explains the cozy, comfortable feeling that pervades Danish homes and daily life.  One of my goals studying abroad is to fully understand and experience this concept.  A few of us had a moment the other night as we played cards by candlelight the other night in the common room.  I'm really excited to spend more time snuggled up in blankets with a cup of tea when it gets cold out.  :)

These past few days have been filled with lots of DIS orientation activities, and although they can't come close to comparing to Stonehill O-tation, they've been super helpful.  In the opening ceremony, I even learned that all Carlsberg beer sold benefits the arts in Copenhagen...  cheers!  Today we did a scavenger hunt around the city that started out with free pastries, got to see some notable landmarks, and I got to try out the train for the first time!  We also went to the grocery store and picked up a few items to make authentic Danish sandwiches for lunch.  By the way- I ate liver paste ?  

Aside from orientation, I've had some time to explore by myself and try desperately to figure out the streets around here.  Since it's one of the oldest parts of the city, the streets just kind of do what they want and don't run in a logical pattern.  Yesterday I almost got myself lost looking for the Mac store (yup, still no computer charger, but at least I know I can find one now) and the other day one of my housemates and I walked to almost every coffee shop in the area in a failed search for wireless.  At this point, I can get to Netto, the closest grocery store without any problems.  I can find other things too... I just don't always remember how I got there or what the best route is.  Soon though!  (I can also find the DIS classrooms, which is definitely important for the start of class tomorrow..)  I can't even complain though, I have probably the most beautiful streets to get lost on.

I had some free time yesterday, so I opted to be a brave traveler and venture down the street to climb the Round Tower.  It used to be the observatory for the University of Copenhagen back in the day.  I'm really glad I went out on my own; as weird as it sounds, it really was empowering to do something on my own.  Afterwards, I was walking back to DIS for my next meeting and someone else from the program came over and asked if I knew where the street was.  I'm not sure, but I think she just might have mistaken me for a Dane because she asked the question really slowly and timidly and then was kind of surprised when I said I was going there too.  I felt pretty cool, and it definitely boosted my confidence!


The Round Tower


First awkward solo picture!


I've been told that the first 48 hours of being abroad are the most terrifying, so I think it's safe to say I survived those!  Tomorrow we start classes, so I'm sure I'll get into a routine soon.  Until then, I'm enjoying my time being a wide-eyed foreigner.  A professor we met with today told us that now is the best time to really take in the culture, because once we get used to it, we won't notice or appreciate the uniqueness of it anymore- like the 584930 bikes that are on the road at rush hour, or having to bring my own bag to the grocery store, or how Danish people might seem to come off cold, but as soon as you approach them they are incredibly welcoming and friendly and helpful.  


Maybe someday I'll even get used to how expensive everything is.....

No comments:

Post a Comment