Friday, August 19, 2011

Only the beginning of the adventure..

Even though I've spent the better part of the past two days packing 4 months of my life into two suitcases and a carry-on, not to mention having some aggravating interaction with Target pharmacy and the insurance company, I still cannot believe that I leave tomorrow.  After a lovely last meal with my parents at the local Irish Pub with the best waiter ever (hi TJ!), I'm sitting on my bed looking around my room before I say bye to it bright and early tomorrow.  Now, for a few minutes, I'm going to forget about the incredible anxiety I'm having over my bags being overweight and/or oversized, the possibility that I'm forgetting something important, or the great six hour drive back to Boston tomorrow (followed by a 9:30pm flight to Iceland with a connector to Copenhagen arriving at noon the next day,) to consider quite a few happy things.

Because I am, most definitely, the luckiest girl in the world.  :)  

As nervous as I have been in the past few weeks to leave, I'm so grateful that I was surrounded by amazing friends who have done this before to listen to me, to encourage me, and to remind me that if they could, they would gladly take my place in a second.  Being nervous is okay, and there would probably be something wrong if I wasn't nervous at all.  It's all part of the experience that is about to begin.  Going into this, my goal is to never let fear or uncertainty stand in my way and to never let my expectations cause me to make judgments.  I plan to accept every invitation and every new opportunity that comes my way.

Last year at this time, I never thought this would be me.  I always knew I was going to study abroad, but it was one of those things that I never thought would actually come.  I still don't really feel it yet- for now, it's still something that my friends a year ahead of me did.  Any thoughts or expectations or fears I have about studying abroad come from them; however, I also feel ready to make this experience my own.

I'll miss Stonehill so much while I'm gone.  The other night I told one of my friends that instead of getting "homesick" while I'm abroad, I think I'll get "Stonehill-sick"... to which he called me a huge loser (hi Ted!)  Really though, it's true.  I left home two years ago to go to college, and I've gotten into the routine of calling home/visiting home, etc.  I guess I'm afraid of what I'll miss while I'm gone... everyone always says Stonehill never changes- and that's true I guess (aside from the new ice skating rink and refurbished Dunks!)  But people do change.  Going abroad changes people.  I'm just trusting that it's all for the best.  

With that being said, I'll miss everyone so so much.  I'll miss my family, my friends at home, the five greatest friends that anyone could ever have (Kathleen, Amy, Danielle, Kristen, Caitlyn), the Summer Ambassadors, Mock Trial, and of course the Orientation Team- in particular, The Extremely Hardcore Dream Team Regime: Group 24.

It breaks my little heart to know I won't see these amazing people until January.  By that time, they'll all be way too cool for me, but hopefully they'll still remember their orientation leader that left them for Denmark.  Love you guys to death!  I've told you before, but you will all do ridiculously awesome things; you're the greatest, and you made my second year as an orientation leader wonderful!!


Saying goodbye to one of the best summers ever and to the best people ever has been weird
To anyone who has gone abroad/who I've mooched a pep-talk out of, I admire you more than you'll ever know, and you've given me so much confidence going into this already.  Thank you thank you thank you.

"Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.”
  Richard Bach




...and I'll really miss iced coffee too.

No comments:

Post a Comment